News Manager/Reporter, The West Yellowstone Star, Montana Jan. 2017- July 2018
● Sole reporter responsible for producing a story line up, managing social media accounts, and writing and photographing six to nine articles every week for print and online copy.
● Reported on: mental health needs in town, which resulted in an increase in services in the community; Montana wildfires in 2017, with a focus on health risks, firefighting efforts and preventative measures for residents. Also covered the development of the town’s new growth policy and allocation of tax dollars.
● Hired two months after the launch of the paper to re-establish a connection with the community and produce a quality weekly paper the town relied on for local news. Helped the West Yellowstone Star grow in size and readership and expanded its social media presence.
Freelance Writer, The War Horse March 2017- present
● Personal narrative writing about military and veteran experiences for war and trauma publication.
● Produced four stories focusing on mental health, transitional issues from military to civilian life as well as experiences overseas.
United States Marine Corps, Hawaii, Iraq, Afghanistan July 2007-July 2011
● Two seven-month combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan as a sniper, watching over friendly forces on patrols and convoys. In Afghanistan, we engaged in conflicts lasting from several minutes to day-long skirmishes. Participated in Operation Moshtarak, the largest offensive in Afghanistan since 2001.
● Other responsibilities included selecting and training new platoon members, mission planning, briefing and execution. Proficient in small arms to crew served weapons systems, explosives, demolition, long- range precision fire, land navigation and survival and evasion tactics.
● Received multiple awards including a Good Conduct Medal, two meritorious promotions and was selected as Marine of the Quarter. I have extensive medical, tactical and cultural training and received a certificate from the San Diego State University for seven-week long Pashtun language course.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York Expected August 2019
● Master of Science with a focus on video reporting, documentary production, and reporting on immigration and refugee issues. Currently producing a film following a Marine veteran struggling with PTSD and suicidal tendencies in a VA inpatient program.
● Practiced long-form narrative writing, audio production, as well as photography and video assembly. Currently writing a book about the transition from military to civilian life in a publishing seminar.
University of Colorado, Colorado May 2015
● Bachelor of Arts in journalism, with an additional study in photography. Other classes included Arabic studies and video production. Studied abroad at the University of Wollongong in Australia.
Audio/Visual: Audio, photo and video production and editing. Proficient with the Adobe Creative Suite – Audition, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Lightroom and Bridge. Familiar with Canon and Nikon cameras.
Other: Collegiate swimmer in the 50-meter freestyle. Avid outdoorsman – skiing, snowboarding, surfing, climbing, backpacking, horseback riding and skydiving. Knowledge of military tactics, long-range marksmanship, weapon systems, explosives and ordnances.
Erin Leonard, Publisher, West Yellowstone Star, 406-570-0254, email@example.com
Anna Hiatt, Editorial Director, The War Horse, 202-365-0728, firstname.lastname@example.org
Thor Neureiter, adjunct faculty, Columbia University, 917-287-0448, email@example.com
Michael Shapiro, writing professor, Columbia University, 212-854-3851, firstname.lastname@example.org
3333 Broadway, Apt B6F, New York, New York 10031