Producer/Director, Back From The Brink, New York/California (August 2018-Present)
- Conceptualized, planned, pitched, shot, edited, scored, color corrected and marketed a documentary about veteran suicide and PTSD. Actively pitching
the film to potential funders, vendors and partners. Accepted to 10 film festivals across the country. Nominated for best veteran film,
best short documentary, best documentary and best student documentary at various festivals.
Producer, Working Nation, California (September 2019 – December 2019)
- Responsible for generating story ideas, creating and maintaining media library, conducting interviews, shooting video and still photographs to illustrate stories, editing for multimedia platforms, sound and color correction, booking camera and audio crews for shoots, on air talent for narration. Visual storyteller and editor, working quickly and efficiently.
News Manager/Reporter, The West Yellowstone Star, Montana (January 2017 - July 2018)
- Sole reporter responsible for producing a story line up, managing social media accounts, and writing and photographing six to nine articles weekly for print and online copy. Reported on: mental health needs in town, which resulted in an increase in services in the community; Montana wildfires in 2017, with a focus on health risks, firefighting efforts and preventative measures for residents. Also covered the development of the town’s new growth policy and allocation of tax dollars. Also covered local government, breaking news and features stories. Hired two months after the launch of the paper to re-establish a connection with the community, expand its social media presence and produce a quality weekly paper the town relied on for local news.
Freelance Writer, The War Horse January 2017- July 2018
- Personal narrative writing about military and veteran experiences for war and trauma publication. Produced four stories focusing on mental health, transitional issues from military to civilian life as well as experiences overseas.
United States Marine Corps, Hawaii, Iraq, Afghanistan July 2007-July 2011
- Two seven-month combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan as a sniper, watching over friendly forces on patrols and convoys. In Afghanistan, we engaged in conflicts lasting from several minutes to day-long skirmishes. Other responsibilities included selecting and training new platoon members, mission planning, briefing and execution. Proficient in small arms to crew served weapons systems, explosives, demolition, long-range precision fire, land navigation and survival and evasion tactics. extensive medical, tactical and cultural training. Received Good Conduct Medal, two meritorious promotions and was selected as Marine of the Quarter.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York Expected August 2019
- MS in Journalism. Studied long-form narrative writing, audio production, video reporting and editing, documentary production, book publication, photography and video assembly, media law and ethics. Produced a 30-minute documentary for my master’s thesis and currently writing a book about the transition from military to civilian life.
University of Colorado, Colorado May 2015
- BA in journalism and photography. Other studies included Arabic studies, video production and conflict journalism.
Audio/Visual: Audio, photo and video production, from conceptualization to post- production and non-linear editing. Proficient with Adobe Audition, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects. Familiar with Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras. AP Style proficient, computer literacy, social media management. Pre and post production, field production and film promotion/distribution.
Other: Avid outdoorsman – skiing, surfing, climbing, backpacking. Knowledge of military tactics, long-range marksmanship, weapon systems, explosives and ordnances. Solid news judgement, writing skills, presentation skills, team player, SEO practices.
Erin Leonard, Publisher, West Yellowstone Star, 406-570-0254, email@example.com
Russell Midori, Field Producer, CBS, 917-588-4926, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Newton, producer, 60 Minutes, 917-902-7994, email@example.com
Thor Neureiter, adjunct faculty, Columbia University, 917-287-0448, firstname.lastname@example.org